Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lake Martin: Weekend Series Preview

Got to fish Lake Martin a week and a half ago.  Water temps are around 60* and the lake is really muddy in the upper regions.  I have always been a fan of this place, even though my time spent out on it has been limited.  I caught almost 13lbs on Martin on a Megabass shallow crankbait during a fall qualifier last semester.  I really like the way the upriver portion of the lake looks and I tried that region out first in practice.  The upriver fishing didn't exactly go as planned.  I spent most of the day catching only keepers.  I guess these fish are not acclimated to the muddy, warm water yet.  I cannot remember the last time I saw water that was in the sixties in January!  After my failed trial of catching them upriver,  I went to a few points I have caught decent fish on before and caught this nice largemouth.



This was by far my best fish on Saturday, weighing in at 5lbs 6oz.  Sunday I tried to expand on this pattern a little bit and caught a lot of spotted bass, but only one decent fish.

Turns out I will not be able to fish the Weekend Series even because of some complications with my boat so that is the reason for this delayed post, sorry.  The colder weather might hinder the weights a little bit for this Saturday's event, but overall I think a lot of people will see Lake Martin's true colors and it will not surprise me at all for over 16lbs to win this event.  Good luck to all of my buddies that are fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment